Tuesday April 25th, 2023 the Ventura County Board of Supervisors has a time certain item regarding the Exclusive Right to Negotiate (ERN) with KARLS for the parcels know as Fisherman’s Wharf.
TIME CERTAIN ITEMS, PRESENTATIONS AND HEARINGS
70. Approval of, and Authorization for the Harbor Department Director to Execute, an Exclusive
Right to Negotiate (ERN) Agreement with Robert Dahl, Doing Business as KARLS, for Harbor
Parcels V, V1, V2, V3, V4 and a Portion of N-2, the Site known as Fisherman’s Wharf at the
Southwest Corner of Victoria Avenue and Channel Islands Boulevard, Oxnard; and
Authorization for the Harbor Director to Make Modifications to the ERN as Necessary.
(Harbor Department – 30 Minutes)
CEO RECOMMENDS APPROVAL AS PROPOSED
You can attend in person or join on ZOOM, or send comments before Monday at NOON.
We have generated a sample-letter-ERN_KARLS that can be used as an attached letter to an email or delivered by NOON Monday. In Addition to the sample letter we have a List of Possible Reasons for Supporting an ERN for Karls if you would like inspiration for your letter.
You must include in Subject Line and correspondence Date & Agenda Item
You can copy and paste:
April 25, 2023; Item: 70. Approval of, and Authorization for the Harbor Department Director to Execute, an (ERN) Agreement with Robert Dahl
The following email addresses can be copied and pasted into your email client.
Matt.LaVere@ventura.org, SupervisorGorell@ventura.org, Kelly.Long@ventura.org, Supervisor.firstname.lastname@example.org, Vianey.Lopez@ventura.org, email@example.com, Michael.Tripp@ventura.org
Be sure to include your Name and Address!
Examples and Samples
Expand the bars below for details.
SAMPLE LETTER OR EMAIL
Ventura County Board of Supervisors
Re: 2:30pm Time Certain Item # 70
Approval of, and Authorization for the Director of the Harbor Department to Execute, an Exclusive Right to Negotiate Agreement with Robert Dahl, Doing Business as KARLS, for Harbor Parcels V, V1, V2, V3, V4 and a portion of N-2, the Site known as Fisherman’s Wharf at the Southwest Corner of Victoria Avenue and Channel Islands Boulevard, Oxnard.
I am writing this letter in support of awarding an ERN to Karls to develop the Fisherman’s Wharf area as a visitor driving and family-oriented harbor destination
I support Karls’ ERN for the following reasons:
(here insert one or two reasons that support your viewpoint – see list of suggested reasons)
Please approve the ERN for Karls. Thank you.
City and zip code
Email Addresses to send to before noon on Monday April 24th
You must email the Clerk of the board before noon on Monday April 24th for your comments to be included in documents for the board and archives.
Clerk of the Board firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also copy the individual board members:
Chair Matt Lavere Matt.LaVere@ventura.org
Supervisor Jeff Gorell SupervisorGorell@ventura.org
Supervisor Kelly Long Kelly.Long@ventura.org
Supervisor Janice Parvin Supervisor.email@example.com
Supervisor Vianey Lopez Vianey.Lopez@ventura.org
CEO Sevet Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org
Harbor Director Michael Tripp Michael.Tripp@ventura.org>
List of Possible Reasons for Supporting an ERN for Karls:
List of Possible Reasons for Supporting an ERN for Karls:
- Channel Islands Harbor has no wholesome fun place for families with kids. Families and kids should have a place at the harbor they can afford to visit and enjoy regularly. Karls will provide that place, a family friendly destination that offers fun and edutainment experiences.
- Karls will expand and attract a more demographically and economically diverse range of visitors to the harbor as well as local community members. It will provide affordable recreational activities with outdoor landscaped areas, playgrounds, seating corners, some small rides for young children and free food manufacturing shows, small food stands and a large central indoor market hall. Entrance and parking will be free as well as access to most of the facilities.
- For two decades, the community has opposed privatization of Fisherman’s Wharf and have been vocal proponents of visitor-serving development at Fisherman’s Wharf. Finally, the harbor has a such a development with Karls.
- Karls visitor-serving concept is consistent with the policies and priorities of the harbor’s Public Works Plan, Oxnard’s Local Coastal Plan and HCI ordinances, and the Coastal Act and its Environmental Justice Policy. This means no years-long amendment process of 5-7 years without guarantee that amendments will be approved.
- Karls will provide a proven economically viable and sustainable operations. Karls has never closed any of its villages and as the sole operator of the facility, is not dependent upon other entities for its success.
- Karls will promote repeat visitors to the harbor. Karls has a track record of repeat visitors, averaging 4.2 times per year. Karls accomplishes this with seasonal events and new experiences and programs that are reflected in its décor, food menus, edutainment exhibits, and retailing.
- I was once opposed to Karls at Fisherman’s Wharf. But having learned more about the project concept and what it will not be, I now fully support an ERN for Karls. Karls will blend a maritime culture with agriculture, both important to our community.
Some Background Information on Karls Proposal
HBCA Position on Karl’s December 4, 2022
September 2022 HBCA Pros and Cons Fisherman’s Wharf Developer Presentations
Background on Fisherman’s Wharf History
September 2021 Update: What Happened – What’s Happening – 2021
January 28, 2021 – County Harbor Visioning Workshop
What’s Next for Channel Islands Harbor – Update August 23, 2020
December 2020 – 400 Apartment Developer’s Exclusivity of Fisherman’s Wharf is Over – BUT….
California Coastal Commission Denied the OVERRIDE 8/12/2020
8-12-2020 – Reasons to deny the request by Ventura County Harbor Department for an LCP amendment override